Friday, October 15, 2010

In which we go the the Tulsa State Fair & attend a Thunder game

Share it Please
It's been a fairly busy couple of weeks around here, which is certainly not a good excuse for lack of updates, but it's what I'm going with. (I can't say for sure what Johnny's excuse is.)

Last Friday, we headed to the Tulsa State Fair. Fairs, to me, are a glut of glorious excess. The greasy fried foods (most on a stick), overpriced games, and colorful spectrum of people make them a favorite destination for yours truly. I'm pleased to report Tulsa's is no different. We dined on such delicacies as burritos, apple fritters, and polish sausages. I drank beer and contemplated sampling selections from the wine garden.

This burrito was tastier than it appears.
This fritter was less tasty than it appears.
We saw adorable baby animals and equally adorable adult animals. 

Adorable alpaca!
We watched some of the draft horse show, but had to leave because Johnny nearly fell asleep (it was very exciting). We spent a good deal of time wandering around inside various buildings, some of which looked awesome:

Check out that sweet horse mural at the top!
Some of the buildings looked innocuous but contained amazing stuff:

Johnny's Christmas present!
We managed to keep our spending under control and declined a number of good deals for things like hot tubs, pickup trucks, exercise machines, and sequin purses. We left, uncomfortably full and somewhat sweaty, several hours after arriving. It was totally worth it.

Johnny and I returned to action on Thursday to watch the Oklahoma City Thunder face off against the Memphis Grizzlies in a pre-season game played in Tulsa. Johnny is something of a basketball fanatic while I'm more of a casual fan; nevertheless, we both enjoyed seeing superstars like Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, and James Harden play. I mostly enjoyed shrieking "JEFF GREEN TWEETED AT ME!" every time he came on the floor. Johnny received a tweet from Grizz, Memphis' mascot, which seemed to make his night. (We are hardcore Twitter users and follow members of both teams. And Jeff Green tweeted at me a few times back in January. THAT'S RIGHT.) The crowd was a bit sparse, which made me think hard about jumping seats. I mean, here's our view: 

I think that's Jeff Green down there. He once tweeted at me.
Instead, I focused my efforts on eating a bratwurst, drinking two beers (Blue Moon on tap, hello! I love you, Tulsa sporting venues!), and devouring chicken strips and fries. (I see you looming, 5K, and I laugh!) Johnny spent most of the first period attempting to figure out the gender and age of a person sitting next to me. The game itself was good, though I won't bore you with the details. Balls were passed, baskets were sunk, I'm pretty sure a dunk or two happened. The starters/stars played for most of the first half and the second half saw the second string. The Grizzlies beat the Thunder (I think I am glad? So conflicted on who to root for.) but the pre-season doesn't really matter. 

Inspired by the sweet NBA action witnessed Tuesday, Johnny and I have devoted several hours of our lives to playing  NBA2K11. (For those not in the know, this is a basketball video game. Not as fun as NBA Jam, but somewhat more realistic.) I have committed to playing with the Grizzlies, which is proving endlessly frustrating, since giant Marc Gasol is little more than a sentient tree and Rudy Gay can't seem to sink a shot to save his virtual life. I digress; the point is, we've had some srs funsies playing. Feel free to join me on my quest for greatness (or ability to simply play an entire game without taking an accidental full court shot) by adding me on the PS3 network- I'm stejpeck.

We'll be back with more posts soon- Johnny will tune you in to the secrets of getting rid of all that extra buttermilk (seriously, why can't you get it in the same size container that heavy cream comes in?) and Oktoberfest is happening in a week (and I have the day off!)! Until next time! 


No comments:

Post a Comment