Friday, September 24, 2010

Indoor Gardening Update

Share it Please
According to the packages of my basil and parsley seeds, I should be seeing seed germination right about now. It seems the seeds may have missed the memo. I've dutifully watered them, kept them in a warm windowsill full of sunshine, and talked to them while I washed dishes. They refuse to emerge.

Wretched, stubborn seeds!
I recently read an article which suggested I place the containers in a plastic bag that will act like a greenhouse. I will give them another day or two before progressing to this. Then it's time to play dirty. I need herbs.

On the bright side, the basil I bought last week is still alive. It's the North Shore Greenhouse Living Herbs variety that's commonly available at grocery stores. The plant is sold with root ball intact; I transplanted it to a large pot full of organic potting mix and have been watering it daily. It looks a bit sparse since I used some the leaves in a recipe earlier this week. I hope it continues to live- the company's website doesn't seem particularly optimistic about replanting it. Statements like "You may certainly try to replant the herbs; just make sure to leave a few leaves on the plant to keep it alive," and "Some of our Herb varieties will be more successful than others," aren't very encouraging. Fingers crossed.

grow little basil, grow!



No comments:

Post a Comment