Saturday, September 18, 2010

Planting Herbs

Share it Please
I've been wanting to start an herb garden for ages, but have been limited by a number of factors in previous residences. Lack of appropriate window sills, presence of rowdy cats, presence of rowdy roommates. As a result, I've been buying fresh herbs from the grocery store, which gets expensive once one gets away from parsley and cilantro.

I bought seeds, potting mix, and pots a few weeks ago, and finally took the time to get everything together today. I located an empty egg carton, filled the divets with Miracle-Gro organic potting mix, and gently planted a few seeds in each. After watering and labeling each divet with a toothpick-and-tape flag, I placed them in the kitchen windowsill.

Future tastiness

The basil and parsley should germinate within 5-10 days, while the rosemary will take a bit longer at 12-15 days. Once the plants are a couple of inches tall, I'll move them to their new homes- a few freshly painted ceramic pots.

Pretty pots
I'm excited to have fresh herbs soon! I use them frequently in cooking; plus, they'll really brighten up that windowsill.

No comments:

Post a Comment